Thursday, December 28, 2006

Game Off...

  • It's been difficult this week to think much about bulls vs bears. We're in Santa Claus rally mode, and it seems like "Game off, Garth."  Who is interested in flipping trades right here?  I've been content to just stand pat with a lower beta portfolio and cash on the sidelines.  There will be plenty of time to think about "what's next?" after this weekend. 
  • I'm not much of a New Year's Resolutions person.   But I'm going to take a look at where I've come this year and where I want to head next year, and set a plan to do that.  One of the big improvements I've made this year is in short-term trading.  I've had the Black Box for the intermediate timing I do for a few years now, and that's been working fine.  (Except for September's sell!)  
  • More reflections as the year winds down.
  • From Market Power, What Killed Heavy Metal Music in the 1980's?
  • $50,000 worth of broccoli stolen!  Think of what THAT'S worth on the black market!
  • Oklahoma State just went up 7-0 on Alabama in the Whatever Bowl, and I do have money on that game; but unfortunately, I can't remember who I took.  Ticket is at home!   LOSER!
  • Intellectually recreational?  Thoughts on the Ken Fisher book from Investing From the Right.
  • For sale on EBAY, a romantic vacation!   Adam Croot, who had planned the holiday to propose to his partner, was dumped by her just weeks ago.  But rather than lose the money on the non-refundable flights and hotel deposit, the 39-year-old decided to go anyway and find another woman to join him, for a payment of 642 pounds ($1,259).
  • From Liberal Larry's BlameBush, Forditler DeadYes, I’ll admit that even with my barely concealed glee over the death of another ReTHUGniKKAN warmonger, as well as my with my narcissistic inability to say anything genuinely nice about anybody who doesn’t share my political views, I’m tempted to begrudgingly concede that at least he wasn’t Bush and show a little reverence for the man. But to take the high road now would betray everything I stand for. The reason BlameBush! continually rises above other progessive blogs is that I am never afraid to speak the truth as ugly and fabricated as it may seem.
  • I haven't been paying attention, but have you seen that Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI) is down to $3.55?  My thoughts on music and content delivery are that we'll all soon have smartphones that can stream stuff from the web and our own PCs at home.  There will always be an audience for news, sports and talk, but even radio and TV stations can be streamed over the web now with a smartphone.  So I'm skeptical of yet another service that wants my subscription dollars when I can get the content elsewhere for $0 above the cost of my smartphone monthly bill.  Just thinking to myself.  Not interested in satellite radio whatsoever.  Not as a subscriber or investor.  No need.

blog comments powered by Disqus