Monday, October 04, 2010

More Money to Watch TV?

I guess $GOOG and $APPL are banking on you spending more money for TV.


The big consumer-tech news today was that Google TV is coming. The bottom line is that they want you to spend more money on another set top box for your TV that allows you to watch Internet content on you big screen TV.

Do you have the cash? Unless you plan on dropping your satellite or cable TV subscription package, this is more money out the door.

For the record, I have a Roku set top box that allows me to watch Netflix and my MLB package. But I was already paying for Netflix and there is no extra charge to stream content. And the MLB Internet package was $100 cheaper than the DirecTV subscription. Granted, that is no comfort considering that I'm a Dodgers fan. But I did save money.

Anyway, we are in an economy where jobs are hard to find and salaries aren't going up. If consumers are going to spend more money for TV, something else is going to get cut.

So what gets cut? Movies? Dining out?

***

Nice special teams, Dolphins. Wow. What a beating.




blog comments powered by Disqus