Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday Randomosity

  • $$ - The market had another bad day. After starting out down and reversing up, the market fell into the close. Not a good sign.
  • Here we are in a supposedly bullish period. Thanksgiving is coming up. Christmas is around the corner. We have market seasonality with us.
  • I remain long after the buy signal the Friday before Halloween. Initially, it seemed like a great call after the hurricane Sandy closed the markets and the markets rallied in the days after. Then the election happened. Since then, I've lost just a couple of percent. Nothing hand-wringing. But still. I remain 100% long and in higher beta kinds of things. I do still own some dividend stocks, but not very much. Thinking about rotating out of those into more tax efficient growth things. We shall see.
  • Is all the selling really do to Barack Obama winning another four years?
  • Daily Job Cuts: A website that shows companies laying off employees. On a daily basis!
  • Looks like Paula Broadwell works out at the gym. I saw her on some news show, and her arms looked ripped.
  • Cisco earnings and sales topped street estimates after hours. Maybe that will help things! After the earnings announcement, the company's shares ($CSCO) rose more than 1 percent in trading after the closing bell.
  • I read on Twitter that Doug Kass likes $AAPL. I like Apple products. The iPad and iPhone are great! The stock... eh, everyone's already in right?
  • I do listen to Glenn Beck occasionally on the radio. Regarding today's media, I do agree with him and wonder sometimes if we're getting the whole story. He's at The Blaze.
  • There is a lot of discussion on the war on obesity. Bloomberg cut soda sizes. LA is promoting meatless mondays. I'm a guy who has seen my share of 40-pound gains and 40-pound losses. I don't think the government should start passing regulations, though. Oh, btw, I've been holding at a slim 150 lbs for a few years now. Secret? Carbs! I eat a lot of rice and bean burritos. Not very much meat and no dairy. Maybe a few ounces of chicken a week. And a daily walk with the puppy.
  • On this day in history: 1789 - Benjamin Franklin wrote a letter to a friend in which he said, "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
  • I don't know what's going on at $MSFT, either. Seems to me that they're in trouble. I read over the weekend that the Surface isn't selling that well, even though some of the reviews are coming in okay. I don't know how their latest Microsoft 8 operating system is being accepted, but is there really an urgent need to move to the next product cycle?
  • (Oh, and maybe AAPL is heading in the same direction, too).
 

blog comments powered by Disqus