Saturday, October 10, 2020

Stocks... Presidential Election... COVID19

  • Stocks... Presidential election... Coronavirus (COVID19)...
  • So anyway.
  • It’s been over a year since I’ve written! Up until the COVID19 hit, I was just working, traveling, and the normal kinds of stuff. I started to stay at home when I heard about the virus in late January, as it was spreading. A friend had caught something strange with lots of fatigue and pneumonia, and I had heard the goings-on in Wuhan. I’ve mostly been at home since. Glad I can work from home!
  • Hope you’re doing well!
  • In spite of the crazy 2020, the economy has rebounded strongly. President Trump seems to not capitalize enough on the strategy of “we have to take precautions, but we also can’t let the economy crash.” Poverty kills, too.
  • The vaccine seems not too far off. The therapeutics (monoclonal antibodies) seems pretty effective and hopefully those can roll out soon. Trying to be optimistic!
  • Stocks have done well. Stay-at-home stocks, tech stocks, and growth kinds of names. Many biotechs rallied with the hopes of vaccines and therapeutics.  I sold my travel and vacation related stocks early in the year.  Except Disney.  Oops.
  • I had thought Peloton would be a really crappy stock. Expensive product with high monthly fees. Where is the growth after everyone who wants one gets one, and a few months later it turns into a clothes rack?  Lockdown hits, people exercise at home.
  • We are closing in on the election, and all the polls suggest Biden in a landslide. Meanwhile, those who ignore polls and focus on battleground state registration trends and mail-in ballot returns think it will be Trump in an electoral landslide.
  • What do I think? Biden. Not my pick, though. I will go more into that in my next post. But not to change your mind one way or another. 
  • The virus has disrupted most of what I do outside of work, so I had to change what I do. I walk a lot.  A lot. Bought some middle-tier binoculars I take with me everywhere, and look at animals and birds. Bought an e-bike and have really explored all over town.  Radrover 5 from Radpower.
  • All that and a weekly Walmart grocery pick up!
  • Hope you are doing well and that your portfolio is hanging in there. Many people may have sold out late winter fearing the worse, but I think we’re doing better than that. Some industries will take a while to recover, others already have.

blog comments powered by Disqus