Wednesday, November 22, 2006

In Turkey Mode!

  • 212% of the time, the day before Thanksgiving and the friday afterwards are positive days in the market. The other 187% of the time, maybe not.  I'm of course using nonsensical percentages because we all know about this and it should be priced in as we drift higher.  The financial news channel has been bleating this good news out all month, for goodness sakes.  They also are stressing how the rest of the year should be positive.  Although have you noticed the hesitation in folks' voices when looking beyond the end of year?  If this is truly on their minds, then folks will try to anticipate it and book profits early and often to avoid the Christmas rush.
  • You haven't waited to do your Thanksgiving grocery shopping until the day before Thanksgiving, have you?
  • I have to be honest, I don't like chasing strength in extended stocks.  I love strength coming out of stocks basing and near moving averages.   But when stocks are miles above a reasonable MA?  Seems like it bites me when I get too aggressive.  And then I kick myself for being a dummy and chasing an extended ticker.
  • Even though I lowered my beta and raised cash in September, I have been buying individual names here and there for short-term trades.  Aware of course that someday the bottom will fall out.
  • This will be hot on shoppers shopping lists friday.   Better line up at the doors around 6am to get one.  Think of the hours and hours of non-boring fun your kids will have with Frog dissection kitsThe $40 kit came in a cloth bag complete with a vacuum-sealed formaldehyde-treated frog, scissors, magnifying glass, forceps, probing sticks, ruler, instruction booklet on how to explore the animal's innards, and a moist towelette.
  • Adam has some randoms up!
  • The folks over at Angry Bear are expecting Nancy Pelosi to show some fiscal leadership.  Hmm, that's the one thing I don't expect from her.  But I do expect lots of gridlock  And ol' Charlie Rangel seems chompin' at the bit to raise taxes somewhere.  But in a slowing economy and with a Presidential veto pen at the other end of the street?  More gridlock.  Charlie does have a blog!
  • Uh oh, don't tell Cramer that somebody isn't happy shopping at his Sears!  Free Money Finance has a shopping experience bad story at SHLD.
  • Second dot-com boom?
  • Herb Greenberg rehashes his comments from CNBC this morning.

blog comments powered by Disqus