Monday, March 05, 2007

The Gathering Consensus

  • It's easy enough to surf the various financial sites and blogs to validate one's own opinion of the market. However, this is is something that usually alarms me if it is too widespread.  I believe the market fools as many as possible, and if I find myself in any sort of group-think for too long I start feeling nervous! 
  • Case in point is this gathering consensus that the market is now firmly entrenched in a correction, that at some point in the future there will be a buynig opportunity (that everyone will identify in hindsight), and we'll return to the bull market and new highs.  This is where I find myself;  this is where I find many.  Very disconcerting!   There is complacency about this correction, and I fear that could lead to something that is worse than expected.
  • Radio gurus... Gary Kaltbaum said on friday's show that we're in bear market of "unknown duration."  Bob Brinker declined to give a forecast to a caller's question but blamed the wild action last week on China and Greenspan's use of the "R word."  I have a few more weekend shows to go through, so stay tuned.
  • Antonella Barba.  Just saying.  I might as well just program that American Idol number in my rapid dial.  I don't care if she can't sing.  I don't care if she's not "that" hot.  She's got my vote.  Vote for Antonella!
  • Watched the concluding episode of the cancelled series Day Break from ABC's website.  I liked the show.
  • "Rewind the Tivo and play that again in slow-mo, honey.  I'd swear that's the Queen Mary!"  Is Long Beach, Calif., the new South Beach? As far as "CSI: Miami," "Dexter" and "Nip/Tuck" are concerned, it is. All three shows, set in Miami, have filmed in the southern California port city as well as at other locations in and around Los Angeles. "We go to Long Beach all the time," "Dexter" executive producer Clyde Phillips said.
  • Adam's Randoms with some sure fire ways of knowing that we're at a top and a bottom.  Pick and choose.
  • Wow.  Beware of markets that show early strength and then collapse at the end of the day.  That was an ugly finish.
  • If you missed last night's episode of  The Apprentice, Ivanka was once again absent.  (Doing what?) No Little Donnie, either.  Anyways, there were two firings in the boardroom.  One for uttering the words "White trash" when describing himself; and the other for making a bad decision on the Lexus "luxury" campaign.
  • Say, Dancing with the Stars starts on March 19th.  Seems like we just had one of those.  With John Ratzenberger, who played Cliff Claven on Cheers.  The new cast also includes Olympic skater Apolo Anton Ohno, boxer Laila Ali, former 'N Sync member Joey Fatone, country singer-actor Billy Ray Cyrus and Paul McCartney's estranged wife, Heather Mills.  Will Cheryl Burke three-peat with whoever this time?  Put her with Cliff.
  • Oh, and new reality voting show for the Pussycat Dolls.  Hmm.

blog comments powered by Disqus