Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Market Thoughts

For most of this move in the stock market, the market has finished the day strong. Today felt a little different. We saw the market tail off and sell off in the final hour.

It is just one day. But let's let our minds wander a bit, just for fun. And just to play Devil's Advocate. (I liked that movie, by the way).

Today's bump in the road is happening just as the media is reporting how resilient the market is, and how we've been able to shrug off Europe, Japan, and Libya. We've even seen better economic news and upwards revision of previous economic data. We're also two years into a bull market, and people are starting to believe. What could go wrong?

My working theory at this point, is that we may be in a trading range defined by the previous highs and the 6% correction (SP500). Maybe that 6% pullback was caused by Europe, Japan and Libya. Maybe those were the catalysts for the sell off everyone anticipated for months. Or maybe those were background noise for a tired market, roaring ahead as Americans are still looking for jobs or working for stagnant wages as the costs of commodities and gasoline rise.

I'm not looking at any charts as I type. I'm not bearish. I'm invested conservatively, in lower-beta stuff rather than high-beta tech. So, if the market goes up, that's great. If the market meanders back down, I'm ready.

Just thinking out loud as I let the mind wander...
***

Glad Monday is done. One day into the work week, and I'm anticipating the weekend. The weather here has gone from gloomy to spring, and temperatures will hit 80 degrees this week. I'm blaming my malaise on Spring Fever.

I've also started (yesterday) Week 7 of my bodybuilding routine, increasing some weight on a few of the exercises, while struggling in a few others. Keeping on...

blog comments powered by Disqus