Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Stock Thoughts (and Kristen Bell!)

  • Traders look be be unfazed by the CW decision to possibly add a fourth season of Veronica Mars.  The initial reaction during amatuer hour was "market orders to sell at the open!"  But Kristen Bell fans have quickly bought the dip to bring the DOW and SP500 into the positive.  Sure, the Nasdaq hasn't quite recovered fully, and unless the CW announces a guest appearance for Cisco's John Chambers in an upcoming episode, I can't blame traders for being cautious.
  • The stock market "game plan" is that any kind of movement down results in an immediate "bottom" and must be bought.  We're in a new era where a stock market correction only lasts a few minutes to a few hours, max.  (I don't really believe that, but I'm going to have to capitulate on my worry at some point.  I get the feeling Wall Street is just waiting for me to load up on the QQQQ before the real correction begins).
  • On the otherhand, in the CNBC stock gambling contest my speculative guesses have me still in the top 11%, but today that's going to go south for me in a big way as my afterhours earnings plays yesterday are getting smoked.  CSCO, DIS, ERTS and DIGE.  Thank goodness it's all play money!  OK, so for today's afterhours, I'm only picking one stock:  SINA!
  • Of course, today all hands are on deck for Federal Reserve dude Ben Bernanke.   Hawkish or non-hawkish?  Nobody expects anything with interest rates this time.

blog comments powered by Disqus