Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Day After

  • I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Welcome to the day after.  I imagine there are tons of folks out shopping for the day after bargains.  Not me!   Although, I don't know why anyone pays full price for Hallmark ornaments when you can get them this week at 50% off.
  • The stock market seems to have a holiday hangover as well.  Not doing too much here.  We're now approaching the month-end and year-end.  I imagine most of the year-end stuf is done.  But the 401(k) contributions will be rolling in and should lend some support to the averages as cash gets dollar-cost averaged into mutual funds.
  • I have Central Michigan and the points in tonight's bowl game against Purdue.  The first time the teams met, Purdue hot-waxed 'em.  So did North Dakota State.  Geez, why did I take Central Michigan?  Hmm.
  • For whatever it's worth, the Black Box generated a buy signal on Citigroup.  I think the financials might be a good 2008 play (via XLF).
  • As 2008 unfolds with major politics, I think we'll be constantly told how bad the economy is and how "change" is needed to fix things.  But the reality will differ from the campaign speeches.  Continued slow growth and no recession.
  • Is 2008 is the last year of the 15% capital gains tax rates?  That could lead to some interesting positioning later in the year if folks want to adjust their cost basis higher.  Of course, one would have to incur a tax hit to do so. 

blog comments powered by Disqus