Sunday, February 21, 2010

Weekend Snacking Randomosity (and Charts!)

  • Good looking woman plus charts on $SMH and $AAPL.  $$
  • Looks like a pretty good snack idea in this picture somewhere.  Just saying.
  • Is there a bond bubble?  And what to do about it.  My take?  I think there’s a case to be made for buying CDs or individual bonds with maturity dates over owning bond mutual funds and ETFs.
  • Toying with the idea of moving the blog to a real domain, over blogspot.  But I do like free.  Then there’s the whole “all the domains are taken” thing.
  • President Obama’s version of Health Care Reform expected Monday.  The White House was expected to post a version of PresidentBarack Obama's plan for overhauling health care on its Web site on Monday, ahead of his critical and daring summit at Blair Houseon Thursday.
  • I haven’t watched that much of the Olympics. I’ve been recording it, but it just sits there on the DVR.
  • Nevada in budget squeezeNevada has been hit hard by both the foreclosure crisis and a sharp drop in gambling and tourism spending. The unemployment rate was nearly 13% in December, up from 8.4% a year earlier. Housing prices dropped 25% in the third quarter of 2009 from a year earlier, when they were already down 26%.
  • I mention the Black Box from time to time. I normally don’t do charts or recommendations, as I certainly don’t want folks base their decisions on my programming skills or lack thereof.  I often don’t follow the Black Box.  It’s just another opinion.
  • Here is a pic of the weekly on SMH. One of the best barometers (IMHO) on where the market is headed.  I still believe tech leads the market up or down.  (The QQQQ chart looks the same, FWIW). 
  • While I remain 100% long at this time, the Black Box is not in an uptrend at this time.  The chart includes the price, volume, and MACD.  Neither of the last two are components (directly) of the Black Box, but I like to see what’s going on when the Black Box gives a signal.
image
  • Here’s how AAPL looks on the same weekly Black Box view:
image






  • So you can see why I don’t follow the Black Box hook, line and sinker.  It will tend to give multiple signals over a few days or weeks, and there is usually time to check out other things.
  • And sometimes the Black Box is just plain wrong!

blog comments powered by Disqus