Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Rainy Tuesday Randomosity

  • The stock market seems to like government gridlock. This is yet another time when the market is advancing during a federal government shutdown.  For now, anyway.  I remain 100% long stocks, and worried that we are in a countertrend rally that will end as we go to retest the late 2018 lows.  I could be wrong, and we just keep going up. 
  • My first reaction when hearing that Netflix was going to raise subscription costs was negative. It's just another thing that's going up in price.  My mind suddenly starts thinking of workarounds... 
  • Brexit was on the financial channels a lot today, as the UK Parliament rejects Teresa May's Brexit deal. This is going to go on a while.
  • Nordstrom didn't do so well this last holiday season.  The mall anchor also reduced forward guidance.
  • Should I switch to T-Mobile, that includes free Netflix? 
  • Apple selling a new battery case for the new generation of iPhones for $129.  Not a bad deal if you’re not going to be near power for a long time.  Over 20 hours of use?
  • After having the new iPad Pro 11” since Christmas, I still haven’t used the Apple Pencil.  I downloaded Procreate, but it seems so overwhelming for a newbie.  I was thinking this was my chance to pick up where I left off from in 4th grade Art class, and work on my drawing skills. I’d like to draw caricatures.  Seems fun.
  • Should I subscribe to Netflix one month a year and download 500 shows to the cloud, then repeat that process once I've watched the 500 shows? That seems like a lot of time and added technical complexity just to save $2 a month.
  • Verizon will be offering free Apple Music to  customers on the 2 upper unlimited packages, and that makes me consider updating from my 12gig plan to be honest. That also means you have to switch from a credit card to a debit card, losing any airline miles, cash back bonus, or other credit card perks.  Plus, I think you also lose any company sponsored discount.  
  • Should I just bring my coffee to work instead of buying coffee?  Seems like that would save more than $2 a month.
  • Looks like Star Trek 4 is cancelled.  To be honest, I think we need a Next Next Generation Star Trek, and stop it with the prequels.  What’s next, Baby Spock?  Cmon.
  • Should I quit the water club at work?  That seems like a $2 wash.
  • And Electronic Arts cancels their planned Star Trek game.
  • The reality is that I will pay the Netflix pay hike for the convenience.  And $2 a month isn't the straw that break this camel's back.

blog comments powered by Disqus