Friday, February 13, 2009

Trying to Hold On

  • Does it feel like the market is just holding on here? The market really hasn't done too much for months.  But even with dire headlines and investors turning up their noses at the heavy hand of government, the SP500 is still at 826.  Except for that brief trip to 744, the lower 800's has held the range lately.  Will it continue to hold?  Will it eventually fail?
  • I'm remaining bullish.  I can't see initiating new sells down here.  Reason for optimism?  Recessions don't last forever.  This period of bad economic times has been going on for awhile.  I'd imagine that we're closer to the end of it than the beginning of it.  And everyone seems bearish.
  • Doesn't help to have President Obama badmouthing the economy.  I know he's just trying to sell his stimulus package while the irons are hot and he has high approval ratings.
  • By the way, have you noticed how the Democrats are always trashing corporations, yet the Democrats say that they're "pro-jobs?"  How does that work?  Wouldn't you be doing things to help corporations thrive?  Or are we at the point where the government is going to provide the jobs?  Oh... the stimulus package. 
  • I've been battling a stomach flu this week.  Bleh.  Getting tired of it.  The first day was the worst and things are settling down some, but still as settled as I would prefer.  And I'm tired.  Nap-city, man.
  • Natural gas is under $4.50 as I type.  Seems like a raging buy to me.  I don't know about the one-day, one-week, or one-month performance of buying here, but I believe it will go higher.
  • Controversial "American Idol" contestant and former child star Joanna Pacitti has been booted off the talent show, apparently due to her past in the music business.  I always wonder about folks who are already in bands or in the business participating in American Idol.
  • Should weak banks be nationalized?  Uh, yikes.
  • I can't believe they made a second Pink Panther movie, as the first one was pretty bad.  Steve Martin laughs off criticism, saying comedies always had to overcome critical snobbery and that the genre was "not a critics' medium." This one has Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as the female lead, so maybe it's worth a rent down the road.   Which may be in a few weeks.  LOL.