Friday, April 07, 2006

Market Thoughts

TGIF!

 
  • The market sold off quickly after the opening euphoria.  The jobs number came in at over 200,000 but that was a little lighter than expected.   Fridays tend to move opposite the weekly trend as traders book profits.  And this week's trend has been a good one.  While I did sell my tech, semiconductors and small cap growth yesterday morning, I'm not in a hurry to buy them back.  I think we're due for a round of consolidation after this run.  Monthly strength period is now behind us, and we have earnings season starting next week.  That'll keep volatility high so there may be some chances to play swings, but not sure if I'll do that. 
  • Baskeball season winding down.  I'm in 2nd place in my Fantasy League, but it's a tight race!  The funny thing is that I have no idea of the actual NBA standings, but I can tell you stats from all the players!
  • Caught up on The Amazing Race last night.  That show had some pretty easy challenges.  The couple that got eliminated (Mike and Lori?) were kind of weak.  It was just a matter of time.  I'm pulling for the hippies.  They're just funny.
  • President Bush also came out and tried to talk up the economic numbers.  Did you see that?  Geez, if he's going to talk up the economy, he needs to do it with an upbeat presentation style.  The content was great, but the delivery was very poor.
  • We also have the seasonally weak period (summer) coming up fast.  Not sure how this trend has held up the past few years, but some folks might try to front-run this and book the nice gains we've had since October.  In addition, don't forget the election cycle swoon that tends to happen.  No worries. No hurries.
  • Also caught up on America's Next Top Model, and I think they blew that elimination round.  Jade needs to go.  Good grief.  Did you see that commercial attempt? 

blog comments powered by Disqus