Friday, July 02, 2010

Job Loss Friday!

  • imageI remain with a bunch of cash on the sidelines.  After selling, I’ve been quite patient (thank goodness) at timing the buy back in.  Just because of the historic pattern of mid-term elections and the summer seasonal stuff.  My gut feeling is that we don’t have that much further to fall, and any buys around here would be gravy by the end of the year.  Of course, in the short term, it may be a bit unnerving.  Just an opinion, of course.  And I haven’t bought back in.
  • Double dip?  The unemployment rate fell as job losses increasedThe U.S. lost 125,000 jobs in June as temporary census workers exited the labor force. The private sector added only 83,000 jobs. The unemployment rate fell to 9.5%.  And the beat goes on. 
  • Apple plans a fix for iPhone glitch.  The Cupertino, Calif., company said that since the original iPhone, it has used an incorrect method to determine the number of bars to display on the device. In some cases, the iPhone would display two more bars than it should, providing an overly rosy indication of its cellular reception.  That’s funny.
  • I still don’t have the iPhone 4.  Not even on order, yet.  I find I’m using the iPad around the house more, and not sure I need to upgrade the phone just yet.  My 3G is slow, but mostly functional.  Still can’t blog from it very effectively, which is why my blog posts are way down.
  • Maybe I’ll get that Droid X, instead.
  • Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger got the thumbs up from the court to cut California state worker pay down to the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour.  That will make some of my friends less than happy.  I think it’s kind of interesting to see this play out.  California’s budget is a mess.  I don’t think the state workers are the problem, but they make easy scapegoats.  Heck, I think the governor and the legislature should be busted down to minimum wage, too.
  • I feel as if the state, and maybe the country, is at some tipping point between capitalism and free markets versus government controls and regulations.  People want their entitlements, but is there enough money around to do that while at the same time allowing for economic growth?  I think that’s where we’re at.  I suppose there is some happy medium, but we don’t seem to be there.
  • (And a few good quarters of economic growth would fix everything, right?)
  • Lindsay Lohan punched by a waitress at LA club Voyeur on her 24th birthday.

blog comments powered by Disqus