Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Premature iCelebration?

  • Apple's iPhone will launch friday, and the reviews are (mostly) positive. Here's a review from WSJ that calls the iPhone "a beautiful, breakthrough device."
  • I'll point out the flaws, because we all know it has a cool interface.  We know it plays music.  And hopefully, we know that because it's not Microsoft, we won't have to reboot the thing a few times a week.  But drawbacks?  Also from the WSJ above, "the quality of voice calls was good but not great," and "took issue with the 'excruciatingly slow' data network."
  • So my thoughts are that I'm sure it's great with music, and perhaps has a new wizbang interface for voicemail and your calendar.  But will browsing the web be a fun experience?  I'm not going to shill for other brands or even ridicule Apple.  But aren't there other phones out there that provide the same or similar features at a better price and maybe even better overall performance?
  • Again, I'm a power user and need power and speed.  Maybe my view is a little different.  If all I wanted was to make calls, get voicemail, play songs, and tap out an occassional text message, maybe the iPhone would do it.  But I can do all that now plus a whole lot more, at a higher speed.
  • Talked with a young coworker, who is a prime demographic for Apple.  He said he'd love one, but he doesn't want to spend $600 and $60 a month for service.  That's where the rubber will meet the road.  Other than the surge of early adopters, will there be lines for the thing in a month or two?  It's a big price tag compared to other phones that are now being discounted to counter the iPhone.
  • Eventually, Apple will tap into higher speed networks and version 2.0 will have "lessons learned" built in.  That's when I'll take a closer look.  But my "cellphone soul" is currently owned by ATT on a 2-year contract that won't expire until 2009!

blog comments powered by Disqus