Sunday, June 25, 2006

Escape from SF

  • I'm not a big fan of San Francisco (the city). Chilly. Foggy.  Hilly.  Windy.  Tons of people crammed into a small area.  (I think the city is 7 sq miles).  Once I deal with the horrible traffic and get there, I'm already in a mood.  It's a lively place and pretty, but eeesh I'm glad to be out of there.
  • A walk-off HR for the Giants today, as they beat the A's in game 2 of the Bay Bridge series. Not that I care, but traffic was totally messed up over there.
  • Not much to say about the market.  I tried to write something yesterday, but what?  We're just waiting until the Fed speaks.  Might as well just close down the market until then. Still holding 100% and with the added beta. Nothing new. Black Box is still bullish.
  • I had a job interview yesterday.  I like the Fun Factory, but this would be a nice pay bump.  Lets call this company "Wonderful Inc."  I think the interview went really well, but the job would keep me extremely busy for the next 2-3 years.  I'm pretty busy at the Fun Factory, but Wonderful Inc. is building a huge new app. that would require lots of afterhours and weekends.  I think the decision is whether or not I want to have a life for the next two years or not.  How would that compare to the extra $$$?  With my dad dying recently, I'm more into the living of life and stopping and smelling the roses compared to chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Maybe I'll pass on the cash and keep my weekends.  No offer as of yet from Wonderful Inc., but going through my thought processes.

  • RIP Aaron SpellingProlific television producer Aaron Spelling, whose shows such as "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Dynasty" helped shape U.S. prime-time television, died on Friday, days after suffering a stroke, his publicist said. He was 83. Among Spelling's other television shows were "Fantasy Island," "Starsky and Hutch," "Hart to Hart, "Charlie's Angels," and "Love Boat."  (I spent a ton of hours watching those shows...)
  • And speaking of life choices, Americans living more solitary livesAmericans are more socially isolated than they were 20 years ago, separated by work, commuting and the single life, researchers reported on Friday.  I'll add that when I stopped by the pizza parlor the other day to pick up a pizza, a group of kids were there after their soccer game (or whatever).  Instead of running around and being noisy, they were all sitting their playing their handheld PSPs (or whatever).  Not even talking to each other.  Interesting.
  • Is GS4 the "Star Trek" channel or what?
  • More from the Houston Chronicle on Ben BernankeWhen Ben Bernanke talks, markets muddle.  The new Fed chair speaks more clearly than Greenspan did, and maybe that's the trouble.  Good column from Richard Yamarone.

blog comments powered by Disqus