Friday, August 25, 2006

Investor, Know Thyself!

What's this hooey about knowing where you're trying to go, Muck?

 
  • The market action this week was a big yawn compared to last week's rally.  I think it makes an intersting set up for the last week of the month combined with pre-Labor Day weekend.  Both should be catalysts for a rally later in the week, but we'll see if investors try to game it early and send the market up monday.
  • I'm going to start writing daily blurbs about how I time the market.  Obviously, many of the things I write about daily are major factors.  The first item on my list is "Investor, know thyself."  I have to know what my goals and objectives are, and also understand what my risk tolerance is.  I don't have much success or patience for short-term trading, so I don't do it very often.  I do like intermediate-term trading, which means sometimes week after week I don't do anything at all.  I may make 3-4 major moves a year.  My goal is to outperform the SP500 by utilizing intermediate market timing.  Things I do outside of this, ie short-term trades, take my focus off this goal and jeopardize the objective.  Of course, doesn't mean I won't try it from time to time, but I understand the consequences. 
  • I was going through my list of monthly subscriptions.  I figured I can save around $2000 a year by whittling down the list.  It's kind of funny how $10 here and $20 there adds up.  I never really looked at it close enough I guess.  Everything automatically gets billed to the credit card and shows up as almost $200 a month that gets lumped in to everything else.  I get used to paying off the credit card monthly and don't even consider some of the junk at the line-item level.  Think about it.  $2000 on stuff I can do without.  Non-essentials.  Just think, I could spend half of it at strip clubs during the year and still have $1000 left over!

blog comments powered by Disqus