Tuesday, August 08, 2006

More on Sure Things

  • Market thoughts... Everyone is getting far too emotional about the Federal Reserve meetings. The "real meaning" of what the Fed says is parsed more than NFL boxscores on monday mornings.  The faders faded any optimism, and with the selling the concern goes back to the bricks in the wall of worry.  The wall of worry is gigantic out there.  Look at the equity only put-call ratio ($CPCE at Stockcharts, in case link doesn't work).   Look at the negative outlook on that one.  I am biased. I'm long with beta.  I acknowledge that we could retest the lows of this summer's trading range.  In the end, I think the doom and gloomers will be wrong.  Hence, the pic of a bear blindfolded with roller skates...
  • Check out Barry's parsing of the Fed release.  I kind of like that approach!  He's also got a few other posts up today analyzing Fed moves.  Good stuff.

  • Sony introduces Wi-Fi music and instant messaging deviceThe name mylo stands for "my life online" and provides users access to online instant messaging services, HTML Web pages, e-mails and to play music or view photos. Mylo will be available in September retail for about $350, Sony said.  Is it just me, or is everyone else thinking "Can't we already do this with the current crop of devices on the market?"  Treo.  Motorola Q.  Sidekick.  And I'm sure there are others.  Somebody tell me why I'd want a Mylo when I could get the Moto Q with phone service?  Not only that, it will work on Wi-Fi networks, and not phone networks.  The mylo is meant to operate on Wi-Fi wireless networks, which are increasingly available on college campuses, in busy public spaces and in homes with wireless broadband connections.   I think I'll get the JLo, and pass on the Mylo.
  • Not only that, but Sprint is going Wi-MaxSprint Nextel Corp on Tuesday said it will spend up to $3 billion over two years to build a high-speed wireless data network using WiMax technology in a bid to capture new growth from emerging mobile services.
  • In couple's news...  Paul McCartney cuts off free-spending wife Heather Mills.  All you need is love, Paul.  Love is all you need.  Pamela Anderson may be pregnant and hopefully, it's Kid Rock's kid since they just got married.  But Hollywood is a freak show, so who knows.

blog comments powered by Disqus