Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008 Predictions

2007 Wrap...

  • First... In 2007, I had an 8.3% return. Catching the summer correction is why I did better than the SP500.  Missed the other two major corrections, though.
  • I'm also now at 50-50 on my bowl bets.  Sheez.  Hawaii and Illinois.  LOL.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?  But, more games to go...  Including West Virginia tonight.

OK, lets go to 2008 PREDICTIONS!

  • First, I had a dream last night that the government had created a program to turn everyone into zombies.  The reason was because a killer virus was going to wipe out the population, and the government had decided to turn everyone into the living dead, so that we'd all be immune from the virus.
  • But, THAT'S NOT MY 2008 PREDICTION.  It was just a dream!  Or was it...
  • Many predicting a rebound in financials this year.  I'm careful on that one, because it could be tricky early in the year.  We're heading up to confession season (earnings), and I wouldn't bet ahead of that.  Maybe after that.  But many lists I've seen have C, BAC, and WM on it.  Patience!
  • I'm 100% long.  The Presidential Election Year is normally a good one for stocks.  Years ending in 8 are usually good.  So despite today's fear and gloom slamming stocks, I think we're heading higher.  Buying opportunity!
  • My prediction?  SP500:  1675.   Continued slow growth, low unemployment, low inflation, and no recession.  Housing will continue to slide, but housing inventories will begin to come down as new construction continues to slow and people decide to just live in their homes and make their monthly payments.
  • No zombies.
  • This morning on CNBC, Cramer predicted energy and oil would be the winning ticket this year.
  • On Saturday's Fox Business Block, the 2008 picks were

Bulls and Bears:

Tobin Smith: Emcore (EMKR)

Pat Dorsey: American Express (AXP)

Gary B Smith: Bank Of America (BAC)

Scott Bleier: Marteck Biosciences (MATK)

Patricia Powell: Potash of Saskatchewan (POT)

Cavuto:

Gary Kaltbaum: Oracle (ORCL )

Charles Payne: Washington Mutual (WM )

Jill Schlesinger: BLDRS Emerging Markets 50 ADR Index (ADRE)

Peter Schiff: streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD)

Cashin' In:

Wayne Rogers: BE Aerospace (BEAV )

Matt McCall: CNH Global (CNH )

Jonas Max Ferris: Nakoma Absolute Return Fund (NARFX )

Jonathan Hoenig: CurrencyShares Mexican Peso (FXM )

Other thangs...

  • In these internet days, shouldn't websites be making cash via page views and clicks, rather than monthly subscription dues?
  • I searched The Google for "free realmoney subscription" and came up with squat.  Except maybe for folks with an .edu email.  So I guess another year will go by without me reading it.  LOL. 
  • But I do read Minyanville.  Love the Buzz and Bantor.  So as the days go on, more clips and quotes from the 'ville.  No Huffy and Boo vid inserts, though.  
  • Obama vs. Huckabee?  Ugh.
  • Nothing like starting off 2008 with "economic worry."  Nice day in the mart, eh?


In Edit: Thanks to the anon email about my zombie dream that sort of mimics the plot of the movie I am Legend. I haven't seen or heard anything about the film, but I did fall asleep with the radio on last night. Must've heard a commercial or commentary about it while sleeping. LOL. Zombies.

blog comments powered by Disqus