Monday, January 28, 2008

Quick Hits

  • I like it when the market opens lower, and then rallies. Even moreso when the afternoon fade gets bought into the close. 
  • Room for worry?  Well, the volume a little light.  And no doubt those who are expecting at least a retest of last week's lows, aka "everyone on the planet," are going to cite the low volume as signs that the bulls are running out of steam.
  • Longer term view here.  I think the market is heading higher.  I think the fears are overblown and well known.  Shorter term view is that I'm a little worried about the Fed potluck this week, and the GDP could cause some angst.   Those would be my likely blamecatchers for a retest this week.
  • On the otherhand, a high-volume follow through day from last week's rally is still a possibility...
  • The problem with eating your mid-afternoon snack at 1:05pm?  Yeah, it makes for a long and hungry afternoon.  It was a banana.  And now I have nothing.  Drat.
  • It was raining a whole bunch here over the weekend, so I caught up on some movies and TV.  And honestly, that's what I do when it's not raining on weekends, too.  Be that as it may, I went and saw I Am Legend on the big screen.  I liked it, although a bit unsettling.  I'm a sucker for a sci-fi plot, though.  I also NFLXed The Simpsons Movie.  Also liked it.
  • On the TV side, I've been recording the BBC "Life on Mars" show.  Watched a few, and am still undecided but leaning towards "I liked it."  That's the show where a guy gets hit by a car, and wakes up in 1973.  Is he time traveling?  Is he in a coma?  Heck if I know, but it's watchable.  Love the Brit humor, too.
  • Politics...  I'm not a Democrat, but I have to love Obama's presence at the mic.  He is a breath of fresh air and a definite change from the other one on that side of the fence; although, his platform is roughly the same.  I just get a feeling he's a little more honest than the one in a pantsuit.
  • As a Republican, I have no idea who I will vote for next week.  I'm not that inspired by Romney, McCain or Rudy.  I respect Rudy for his work in New York, but I think the country is ready to move on from 9/11.  I think "Honest" John is a decent guy, but he's the Joe Lieberman of the GOP.  Conservatives don't like McCain!  Romney is the smartest person running in the election, and takes the skin off his chicken before eating.  Love the health message there, Mitt! 
  • I'm guessing that when I do go to vote, it'll be either McCain or Mitt.
  • November thoughts?  The country is tired of the GOP.  I think Obama would bring out the hard-to-motivate younger voters and deliver the GOP a serious pounding in November.  Hillary might have a rougher go of it, simply because she'd repress the youth vote and there is a lot of anti-Hillary sentiment out there.  McCain could get the middle vote, and may be the GOP's best chance against Hillary.  I don't think he'd win against Obama. 

blog comments powered by Disqus