Thursday, May 24, 2007

Market Thoughts (and Ali Larter!)

  • Pretty big volume on the stock market selling today, Mister. I'm wondering if we'll see the "it doesn't matter" chatter here with the month end and Memorial Day holiday ahead?  In the past, I'd have jumped in here and I'd be early.  But the volume, Mister.  Price and volume matter.  The market seems like it wants to pull back.  The dip buyers have been preventing that, but they seem absent here.  Maybe they're on vacation; maybe they're all in.  Anyways, we're all so getting used to the "it doesn't matter" feeling (complacency) because the dip buyers have been previously stepping up.  
  • More from Yahoo FinanceAfter showing some fatigue all week, new evidence that diminished the prospect of a Fed rate cut anytime soon pulled the rug out from under equities ThursdayThere's a rug?  Look, with the GDP hanging in the low 1's, I think we can rule out the prospect of a rate hike.  So that means the Fed either does nothing or reduces the rate.  Unless there is a fourth option I'm unaware of. 
  • Looks like some new cast members with special abilities will be added to Heroes next season.  Of course, you probably think I'd jump in here suggesting a stripper with an attitude; but the series kind of did that with Ali Larter (nude, naked, topless, panties, upskirt).  (I never get tired of that shameless search engine play).  I was thinking for the next Hero, maybe a middle-aged pitcher who had the ability to make millions of dollars pitching for only half a season.   I know, it does sound a bit out there.
  • For short term investing strategies, I tend to follow the IBD way.  I like basing stocks that break out with mo-mo.  Cup and handles.  Etc.   For that mo-mo game, I think it is important to do whatever the crowd is doing; just never exceed your stay.  Longer and intermediate term, I tend to look for double bottoms or tops on the indexes (and not individual stocks).
  • ETFs up the wazzoo.
  • If you missed the LOST finale, this is a terrific write-up.  I don't want to spoil it for those who DVRed it and watched American Idol instead.  You're in for a treat.  Great show.  Now we have to wait 7 months.   Bugger.
  • There is also a LOST blog, called Lost Easter Eggs.  Again, don't want to spoil last night's shows for the DVRists.
  • You do know that Ali Larter was in Legally Blonde, right?  One of the classics.

blog comments powered by Disqus