Monday, May 26, 2014

Market Thoughts

  • The stock market enters the last weekend in May at all-time highs! $SPY
  • Sell in May and go away or buy in May and go away? I’ve written about the historical trend of the market having a non-presidential election year correction. Haven’t seen imagethat yet this year.  Folks seem quick to get bearish even with a 1% “correction,” but the market hasn’t pulled back much.  Yes, small caps and growth have suffered as money fled into the “safer” stocks until recently.
  • Josh Beckett throws a no hitter for the Dodgers yesterday, and Ryu takes a perfect game into the 8th tonight. 
  • When I found out that Chipotle uses dark meat chicken - (I’m looking at you, legs and thighs), I stopped going.  $CMG – And then I find out that the white meat goes to Panera!  So will I!
  • I am mostly long in my accounts, and still have the position in the utilities. I am underperforming the SP500 this year, as I did last year.
  • Thinking out loud, the market is heading into the last week of May which you would think is bullish with the month-end effect.  AAPL splits in June – so I wonder what kind of effect that has in keeping the market propped up, as the stock is heavily weighted in the indexes.
  • Memorial Day – One year ago I fractured the sesamoid bones in both feet while on a 2 hour bike ride.  They still hurt. Especially when I do much on my feet.  But no more painkillers. 
  • Growth stocks have had a nice couple of weeks.  It seems like folks are getting more bullish as the market goes ever higher, and maybe the appetite for risk is returning.  The VIX remains low.

blog comments powered by Disqus