Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Fantasy Football Driaft

What'd ya pick Ricky Williams for, Muck?

 
* Everyone is an armchair quarterback the day after the Fantasy Football draft. Hope is high. Everybody thinks that their team is the one to beat. Oh, and the water cooler razzin' is unbelievable.

* Do you follow HDTV? The picture is great. At first, I was like "Is this it?" It's not a life changing event. But then when you go back to a regular TV channel, suddenly you feel cheated.

* Michelle Malkin blogs on the New Orleans goings-on. It's chaos. I heard somebody on the radio say that this shows that all of America is about 3-days of no electricity and water away from being a 3rd-world country. Amazing, isn't it? De-evolution.

* I took Ricky Williams with the 3rd to last pick of the draft. People scoffed.  "Don't you know he's on suspension for 4 games?"

* The market? Well, 401(k) money coming in and such. Labor Day holiday tends to be good I think. I'm just staying the course in the total market index. Any large pullbacks in the weeks ahead, and I'll look to get more aggressive. Nothing for me to do now. Have you noticed those interest rates coming down? I'd think the Fed is about done raising short-term rates for now.

* With HDTV, you see skim blemishes. People look different. It's kind of funny.

* A shocker? High-fiber diet may slow atherosclerosis. Didn't we already know this? This was a 3-yr study of women. But the conclusion at the end is "It is likely," Lichtenstein added, "the benefits of diets rich in whole grains are applicable to a more general population.". (So, does this answer the question if we can sprinkle psyllium seeds on our Ho Ho's and make 'em healthy?)

* The guy eliminated last night on the INXS reality show was the black guy. (I don't know any of their names.) He went into a tirade at the end, saying that he was probably eliminated because he was black and not a big rock following in that demographic. And did I see him kiss a guy after elimination? Not a big rock following in that demographic, either? You tell me.

* Lunch? How about a burrito? Half of a burrito and some fruit? It's almost the end of melon season, maybe I should have some while it's still good. OK, I know they can import it from Chile or wherever in the months ahead. But melon tastes better in the summertime for some reason, huh?

* The movie Troy showed up in my mailbox. Netflix, baby.

* Gas is over $3 here, I think. Refineries could be shut down for months. I suppose we'll all be consolidating our car trips, eh? And Netflixin' our entertainment needs. Shopping online??? Suddenly, drilling in ANWR and off the coast will be popular. And I heard that while crude may cost $70 a barrel, the comparable costs for nuclear energy is about $35 a barrel. So, maybe there will be a push to "save 50% on energy bills" soon.

* Got weekend plans? It's Labor Day weekend. Big travel weekend. Last big hoorah of summer and all. If not travel, then maybe a pool party/bbq? Starting tonight, college football gives us 5 days of games. Fall, indeed.

* The slot Ricky Williams filled on my roster was destined for a Kevin Barlow or a backup nobody tight end. Why not take a flyer? The rest of my team is solid, and Ricky would be a top round pick if he weren't suspended. So starting in the Dolphins fifth game, my team could be a juggernaut. (Everybody is positive the day after...)

blog comments powered by Disqus