Friday, September 30, 2005

Lots of Stuff

* Hello, Friday!

* When you go to Subway, ask Amber to make your sandwich. I don't eat meat, but I noticed she was making meat sandwiches with lots of meat. I mean, she was piling salami high on those rolls. No skimping from Amber. I don't know if this applies to all Ambers nationwide, but the Amber in my town doesn't follow any number-of-slices rules when making a salami sandwich. She makes sandwiches with her own set of rules.

* I haven't had much time to blog this week. I was in a class in the early part of the week, and when I came back yesterday, the crew here at the Fun Factory were lined up with shovels waiting to beat me over the head. It's been a crazy 24 hours, and today will be the same. The good news is that on friday, there are less folks around.

* I haven't heard from her lately. I've been having weird dreams and thinking of her a lot the past 2 days. I'm tempted to send an email, but I don't want to be psycho-stalker. It's been over a month since she emailed me last. It's strange. Our lives have gone in different directions, but it's almost as if there's a corner in my soul that she owns. Or at least has a time share on.

* President Bush's agenda has been derailed over the past month. I doubt we'll even hear about Social Security or tax reform. In addition to hundreds of billions for Katrina, one interesting agenda item is "reducing poverty in the Gulf States."

* End of quarter window dressing on the market combined with 401(k) contributions? That's the easy explanation.

* John Roberts was sworn in. The next Supreme Court Justice to replace Sandra Day O'Connor should be named within the next week.

* Poor Chad Pennington (out for the year). Poor Jay Fiedler (out for the year). Poor Jets fans. I don't know the Bollinger guy who's going to step in this sunday in BALTIMORE against that defense. But that's not going to be pretty. Heck, poor Curtis Martin. He's probably going to get the ball handed off to him 60 times on sunday! Hey, Vinny Testeverde is coming back, so when he's ready that might actually improve that Jets passing game.

* How exactly do you reduce poverty? I know the Democrats will say higher taxes, because they'll want to fund education, health care, raise wages, along with another huge laundry list of spending items. Of course, this is the approach we have been taking for decades. Lots of money spent, and who can say if the results are worth it? The Republicans will say tax cuts and incentives, to create economic growth. Which in theory sounds great, assuming you can motivate folks to get off their butt and take some initiative with their lives.

* Robert Plant can't sing worth a lick anymore. I'm listening to 29 Palms, which isn't too bad. But have you heard his new stuff? Heck, I might as well be singing. (And that's not pretty.)

* In the US, we have an environment of opportunity. I think poverty is a personal issue for most. Our society has to be there to help people out, but I get a little frustrated when I see 300 lb. folks on TV talking about how horrible the US is, and asking where is their money and benefits?

* Auto supplier Delphi Corp's in trouble, but I'm mentioning because of what they're saying about worker pensions being at risk. I think folks who are counting on pensions better have a "Plan B." Especially if we're in a longer term secular bear market. Things may look better now than they did in 2002, but what about the next downturn in the economic cycle? These pension funds are at risk.

* Chris might've had a long run on The Apprentice if he'd have made a better choice on who to bring back to the boardroom. That Mark fellow won't last long, but he was the wrong choice for last night. Trump seemed to like Chris. Chris seemed to have some skills. But, in a reality show, one decision can sink your battleship.

* The Wall street Journal says China is going to tackle the gap between the rich and the poor. The plan is expected to shift the emphasis from strong economic-growth rates to the strengthening of social services, like education and health care. See, that's how to slow down their economic growth! Export liberalism! (And I haven't even listened to Rush Limbaugh in years, but I remember that line...)

blog comments powered by Disqus