Monday, July 09, 2007

Status Quo Monday

  • The market continue to amaze me.  We're not up much but there seems to be no interest in selling.  Status quo.  Yet, the DOW is just a few ticks away from A NEW RECORD.  How quietly has that happened?  Towards the end of June (before the monthly and holiday strength), folks were getting a tad nervous as the SP500 slipped below 1500.  But here we are.  SP500 now ticking at 1531 as I type.
  • I continue to be in the same position with core holdings being low beta stuff with some cash.  But today have took some partial gains in the mo-mo high fliers (and letting the rest run), and also adding some names that have pulled back to support/moving averages on low volume and set up to run (hopefully).  
  • Jason at The Trend says the buy signal is still on.
  • The Trading Goddess adds a new look and feel to her blog.  Don't worry; the pics are still there...
  • Barry Ritholtz writes about CNBC.com placing their video segments behind a subscription feeThey want $14.95 per month to view their clips. Or, if you subscribe for the full year, its $169.95 -- an astounding savings of $9.45!  Barry wonders how many subs they'll sell.  I won't be buying one.  You?  I barely pay attention to CNBC when I have it on in the background.  I can't imagine paying for the website.
  • Ben Stein's view of the economy from abroad.  Ben writes about subprimes, the economy, etc.  Good read.  But he closes it with a dressing down of America's... dressing!  Finally, to change the subject, I'm impressed at how badly most Americans dress for work. Even at major banks and law firms I see Americans dressed like small children. How can a client have confidence in people who show up dressed as if they're going to a rock concert? If you were a client, who would you like -- the guy in jeans and sandals or the guy in a nicely tailored suit and well-chosen necktie?  I'd agree, Ben; however, I'm working from home today in gym shorts and a raggy T.  LOL.  I think it depends on the business, Ben.

blog comments powered by Disqus