Sunday, December 11, 2005

Audio Drivers

As a techie guy, I can usually figure out computer problems fairly quickly. It seems like I have to spend a few minutes trying to remember how to find my hardware settings and properties, but after a few trial and error clicks down that learning curve, I'm on my way. If I can use Google's (or Yahoo's) search engine, I imagine I'll find the error pretty quickly.
I decided to listen to KFBK's Hanson and McClain show "Money Matters" on my PC today. No sound. I try the easy things first:

  • Speaker volume on? Check!

  • Speakers plugged in? Check!

  • Speaker cable plugged in PC? Check!

  • PC volume on and set high? Check!


Ah, crap. It's something else. I open up my audio settings. "No audio device," it coldly blurted out.

"What? I was just listening to you last night. You do have an audio device." So I check for new drivers. I have the latest. I go to Windows and check for updates. OK, I'll update to the latest .Net whatever and reboot. What else do I have to do during this lousy Raiders-Jets game? After all my tweeks... "No audio device."

Finaly, I checked the sounds and audio devices properties. You know what? The device playback changed to use some software I installed months ago. And although that was working fine, I decided to change it to the default device settings, and now everything is working fine.

OK, whatever. Back to football.

blog comments powered by Disqus