Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Memoirs of a Rainy Day


 
  • On the markets, I heard someone say "January is happening now."  He was thinking that everyone on the planet is expecting a January selloff.  So folks want to "get out" before the correction happens, thus creating the pullback ahead of schedule.   That's kind of what I was thinking.  If so, those who want out to avoid the January selloff will already be out, and the only thing they can do at that point is buy back in.  Just thinking out loud.

  • Raining quite a bit here lately.

  • My coworker is reading the book Memoirs of a Geisha.  I asked her, "You know this is out in the theaters, right?"  But she likes to read a book before she sees it at the theaters.  "So you can be disappointed?" I asked.  She said usually, but she likes to know what's going to happen.  Uh, okay.

  • Of course, last week's rally (3 up days in a row) might've been folks trying to get in before the anticipated Santa Claus rally.  Those folks are losing money trying to front run this week's anticipated rally (which isn't happening).  Maybe those selling this week will also lose money trying to front run next month's selloff (which hopefully won't happen).

  • (Did I just mention hope?  EGADS!)

  • Yield Curve Inverts Again!  Nobody was mentioning or cared about this much in 2000.  Everybody believed in the "new economy."  Today, though I sense lots of fear.  Hey, more on Bulls vs. Bears later today.

  • I asked my coworker how she felt about Chinese actresses playing Japanese roles in movies, as if folks couldn't tell the difference.  She replied that being Hispanic, lots of folks think she's Asian.  "I get that all the time," she said.

  • Happy Wednesday! 

  • Who will win the battle for the HD DVD formats?  Pioneer is going to market a Blu-ray DVD player for PCs, competing against Toshiba's HD-DVD format.  Sony is rumored to be including a Blu-ray drive for the Playstation 3.

  • Two words:  Ziyi Zhang!  I liked her in the other movies she starred in.  Most recently, "House of Flying Daggers."  So, I'll probably see "Memoirs of a Geisha."

  • More later on Bulls vs. Bears.  Specifically, all the bears think everyone is bullish.  All the bulls think everyone is bearish.  Who's right?

  • I'm not going to be an early adopter on the HD DVD players.  I'll let somebody else pay that high price tag, and then let the dust settle to see which format becomes "the standard."  Know what I mean?

blog comments powered by Disqus