Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday Selling

  • Investors "cash in" from rally today. Sure, down 45%, rally 5%?  Book the profits!  Making a killing has never been so much fun.
  • Worse retail numbers in the history of mankind today.   The worst monthly drop on record for retail sales set off new alarm bells about the economy Friday, stepping up pressure on policymakers to figure out how to combat what increasingly looks to be a severe recession.
  • Did you hear alarm bells?  I had my alarm bells muted and on vibrate mode.  Felt nice.  Tension melted away when that sucker went off.
  • I had saved a draft from a blog entry last night, where I wrote that I thought yesterday's rally was meaningful.  The market went down on a retest, and huge volume came in and pushed the market for an intraday swing of about 9%.  In addition, some stocks were even poking their noses over their 50dma.
  • Pfft.  Nevermind.
  • I bought an iPhone last night.  Went to the local Apple store and battled the hoards who must've thought that, in these depressionary times, it was a soup line.
  • I know we're in a recession because I'm told so everyday.  But wherever I go to shop or eat, there seem to be very long lines.  $AAPL store last night.  Dos Coyotes Mexican restaurant today at lunch, etc.
  • Anyways, quick 1-day thoughts on the iPhone.  I'm a big fanboy now.  It's great.  Now, typing is a bit tricky when the iPhone is in the vertical mode.  I'm used to the buttons on the 8535 slider, so it's been a pain.  I can't imagine blogging more than a sentence or two from there.
  • I've downloaded some applications.  More later, but a quick list is WunderRadio, Bloomberg news, Beacon, BlogPress, Firemail, Twittelator, Stanza, and iTalk.  I had to pay for WunderRadio and BlogPress.  The others were free.  I put AC/DC's Black Ice on it.  Sounds great.
  • Very easy to use.  Very quick.  Wi-fi is wonderful. 3G is the same as my previous phone.  The ease of finding information is wonderful.  Definitely way less click intensive than my WinMo phone.
  • More on the iPhone this weekend...