Thursday, August 16, 2007

Stir it Up


  • Just to stir things up, the market was sinking like a stone and then late in the day staged an impressive rally.  Of course, the market is extremely oversold and due for a bounce.  But will the bounce be shorted heavily?  Just like bulls on the sideline waiting for a dip to go long, when the market is tanking the bears on the sidelines look for a bounce to go short.
  • I remain long.  I obviously don't have a crystal ball and don't know when things will turn around.  But I do believe the fear creates an opportunity.  We had many corrections in the late 1990's, and those were some pretty good years to be long.  Folks just forget that corrections and pullbacks are normal.  We haven't really had much of one in recent years.  So this just seems scarey.
  • Depends on one's timeframe, too.  I'm focused out there a ways.  In my trading account where I'm long an ETF, I may get more aggressive on stocks that I think will do well going forward.  I don't want to give out ticker symbols, but I think solar energy isn't going away.   I think the internet is going mobile in a big way over the next few years.  I think the big banks are going to be the big winners as the smaller mortgage companies get in trouble and go out of business (reduced competition).  I think the newer video game consoles are selling well, and kids (and adults) need games to play.  I think folks will need health care going forward.  Etc.
  • Oh, I bought the Madden 2008 football for the Nintendo Wii.  No, haven't played yet!  Maybe tonight.  Oooh, there's a pre-season Dolphins game, huh?  Eh, uh, we'll see.
  • Trying to pick out a name for your baby?  This one didn't fly, but I like the idea:  @
  • If you want give your kid some flexibilty, you could name her after a month.  She could spell it out, as in "September."  She could abbreviate it as "Sep."  Or she could use a number, like "09-".  Dash or slash.  Her choice.
  • I had a Countrywide home loan once.
  • Man, I do want to watch that game tonight.  I might have to pick up a pizza.

blog comments powered by Disqus