Thursday, July 03, 2008

July 3rd Thoughts and Randomosity

  • It's been a rough few weeks. It hasn't been pretty. The stock market has tanked.  It's a bear market in the DOW and Nasdaq, and the SP500 is but a few points away.  Close enough.  Grrr.
  • I remain 100% long and the recently-lame Black Box remains on a buy signal.  I'm contemplating my trading strategy for the 2nd half of the year.  I'm underperforming the index a bit, but not by too much.  Still, I've passed on chances to become less aggressive on previous bounces.  I anticipate some kind of move up, and not sure if I'll get less aggressive on it or not.
  • I don't think the economy is horrible in itself. I think fuel prices are just a huge drag on it right now.  I don't see an end to it, because none of the politicians are talking about it much (policy wise).   Quite confounding.  Quite annoying.  Losers.
  • Checkout the Clipmarks in the sidebar, and also notice the last blog entry.  Cool utility for quick and dirty clipping and commenting from around the web.
  • The Dow in Euros.   Very dramatic chart.
  • From the Business Pundit, 8 Companies Behind the 4th of July.
  • From the WSJ, stocks have been negative for10 years.  That's just in the US.  Hasn't it been about 30 years since the Nikkei peaked?
  • I made the mistake of buying an HD DVD player last year.  Talk about the last bull to the party.  Shortly thereafter, Blu-ray won the format wars.  I had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked up a Playstation 3 over the last weekend, so now I can do HD all over again.  And games.  Not exactly "pick up and play" like the Wii, though. 
  • From Normxxx Ruminates, Economy Extends Job Losses. 
  • China Mobile working towards iPhone deal.  (Disclosure: Long AAPL).
  • Paul Kedrosky's book recommendations...
  • Did you see the movie Mad Money with Queen Latifah and Katie Holmes?  Now I know those two names make you instantly think "red carpet awards" coming, right?  (Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, or whatever they're called).  Not.  Even.  Close.
  • My friend told me to rent Mad Money in Blu-ray to see if it's any better.  
  • Loss is the Rite of Passage to Wealth.  I kind of named the blog after what this article is talking about.  Going down the learning curve, figuring things out, etc.  Although it comes across as a bunch of mumbo jumbo. 
  • David at The Shark Report on the close notes, Don't forget all the bulls who anticipated great stuff for drug stocks with a W administration- note the index is down about 25% during his 7.5 years in office.  So watch out for what folks are predicting with an Obama or McCain win.  Fade it?
  • What? From Market Power, the Seattle Supersonics are leaving Seattle for Oklahoma City.  Check it out, for the economic impact to a city.  Cool.
  • Eh, I've had it for a day.  A week.  A first-half of 2008.  I love long Summer weekends.  BBQ.  Pool.  Beer.  Sunshine.  Etc.  Hope you all have a great weekend.

blog comments powered by Disqus