Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Owens, Kennedy and the Paolos Will Not Return!

* Enough with the election recaps. Moving on...

* The stock market meandered higher, and hopefully consolidating the recent spike up. The weeks prior to options expiration tend to be down, and maybe that'll set up an options week rally. We're not seeing much down action, so hopefully any move up will take us up and over the recent trading range.

* "The next sea change is upon us," Bill Gates.

* Terrell Owens? I think the Eagles are doing the right thing. I don't think it's healthy to have that kind of attitude in a locker room. He's a great receiver, but he brings people down.

* It seems as folks are getting comfortable with the higher costs of energy. At least gasoline prices have fallen recently. But we haven't seen the first heating bills yet, and natural gas prices are soaring. The mild weather days have nearly ended, so it'll be interesting to watch the reactions as the energy bills come in. As for me, I've bought my fleece and have stacks of blankets at the ready. Didn't get the pellet stove this year, but maybe over the next summer I'll look into it.

* In the weakest story line of Desperate Housewives, Page Kennedy (the actor that plays the dude chained up in the basement) was fired.

* In the Amazing Race last night, the Paolo family was eliminated. Buh-bye. Geez, sometimes I was pulling for them, and at other times they were getting on my nerves. I haven't really found a favorite yet. Down to 4 teams, and I'm not cheering anyone on. I think it's funny that the Florida team (Weavers) who pray about everything, seem fairly mean spirited to the other teams.

* Kobe Bryant is scoring like a team that has no other scorers! Oh, you think I'm forgetting about Smush Parker? Seriously? Do you think opposing teams plan a defensive strategy around "Lets stop Smush and make Kobe beat us?"

* Paul Kedrosky writes about Newspaper Circulation Woes. So, what's the answer? If they charge for online access, will folks just go elsewhere (ie, news aggregators like Yahoo or Google)? I wonder how many folks subscribe to online WSJ or NYT?

* What do you think about big pharma or tobacco (as an investment)? My worries are that someday, medicine will be socialized. And, should the GOP lose out in the next election cycle, won't the Democrats go after big tobacco like they did in the 90's? Maybe I should add "big oil" to that mix, too. Lots of folks angry about the profits oil companies are making.

blog comments powered by Disqus