Friday, September 05, 2008

Grody to the Max

  • So, I'm trying to find a picture of the New York Giants cheerleading squad, thinking they don't have one and I was right. Their website says:  The Giants do not have a cheerleading squad. We have always felt that the game should be the focus of the day of game presentation.  Losers.
  • Instead, I give you Azusa Yoshizuki.
  • What can I say about yesterday's market?  It was grody to the max, Moon Unit.
  • Today's unemployment numbers are also up.  I think unemployment is a lagging indicator as companies react to the slow growth in previous quarters.  Although, the 2nd quarter GDP was just revised upward to 3.3%.  Hiring has slowed in both the private sector and public sector.  Governments are dealing with lower than anticipated tax revenues.
  • Government tax revenues are also a lagging indicator.  We file taxes for the previous year, so if the previous year was slower then the checks coming in reflect that.
  • With GDP revised upwards, I think the economy is turning around.  And the fear in the market is probably a pretty good buy.  But, I've been long for awhile while the market has been in this trading range.  There have been some opportunities to catch the wiggles in this sideways action, but I haven't done much of that.
  • The good news is that the new Long-Short model is working well with the sell on the NDX last week (long PSQ).  No new signals on the Black Box Jr. model.
  • I caught most of John McCain's speech last night from the Republican convention.  I thought it was fine.  I'd really like to see them pound the energy issue.  We need a lot more nuclear, wind, solar, and oil.  I think energy independence should be the #1 issue this year.
  • Posting has been a little light.  Work is very hectic and doing lots of house stuff in the evening.  Not much PC time for me.