Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Stock Market Tears ACL; Out for Season

  • Returned from a 4-day weekend in Reno Monday night. Kind of exhausting, but fun.  Spent the bulk of the time in a sports book trying to predict the future.  Just like stocks except with football teams.  Did well with the pros, but not so well with college.  The 1/2-point hook kept wrecking my tickets.
  • I tried to keep up with some of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac news over the weekend.  I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing for stocks.  You'd think it'd be bad.  And it was for the shareholders of those companies.  Wall Street rallied yesterday, but the Nasdaq was relatively quite.
  • I think that divergence in the Nasdaq was a sign that all still is not well.  And watching CNBC this morning, with groggy eyes, I noted that future anticipated tech spending is down as well as future hiring plans.  And with Russia playing the Venezuela card

BREAK

  • So I started this blog entry this morning, and the normal work chaos ensued so this is the first time back in my office.  The market tanked into the close.  The sell signal from the Long-Short model from a few weeks ago has been a winner. But this market sure is grinding