Friday, April 29, 2005

Quick Hits

* I missed most of Bush's speech last night. Got home during the middle of it, and then just got busy doing home-stuff. Looks like there are some lively blog debates going on about what Bush had to say. But I don't think he's going to win the battle on Social Security private accounts, even if that's a better approach than what we currently have. People don't like change. So, at some point in the next 10 years, look for massive tax hikes to fund the current system. You won't want to be in the stock market when that happens.

* Alex gets the boot on The Apprentice last night. He was pretty lame. I like Tana. I think the show is setting up for a high school grad vs. college grad finale, so I think Kendra is in as the college grad. So either Craig or Tana will be eliminated next week to set it up. I think Tana is stronger than Craig, but will Trump want a woman vs woman finale, or a black man vs. woman finale?

* I have Jim Thome on my fantasy baseball team, and he's bringing me down.

*The stock market has just been blech. Here we are, in monthly-strength period, and not much is going on. In addition, normally strong months of the year have been negative. I don't see anything in the economy that says we're going into a recession or tanking; everything looks like moderate economic growth, which should be a positive for the market. So, I'm staying long.

* If the Fed sees inflation, then they're not thinking economic slowdown. It also means they'll keep raising rates. Hopefully, this won't be a 1999-2000 rate hike deja vous.

* The Miss America reality show?

* Lunch!

blog comments powered by Disqus