Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans

Wasn't something due today?

 
* I heard somebody refer to the "drama unfolding in New Orleans." I thought to myself.... DRAMA? It's a f'king nightmare. I can't imagine what the people there are going through. And a huge thanks to those who are contributing cash and their time to help people. Again, there are links to the Red Cross and Salvation Army above. Help out if you can.

* The New OrleansTimes-Picayune has a blog following the latest. Highly recommended.

* To be honest, I haven't been following the market much the past two days. Oil is going to be released from the SPR, but will we be able to refine it? In addition, for whatever reason oil continues to remain high. Speculation? Production is affected in the gulf, but refining capacity may be more of the problem. I just read a Yahoo brief that says that oil prices are declining a bit now that the water levels in New Orleans have stopped rising, and that this is giving a lift to stocks. UH, HUH? Like I said previously, the market moves, and then folks look around at the headlines for ANY story for a reason why. Incredible.

* I've been following the New Orleans story, like everybody else, and not concentrating on the stack of work I have in front of me. I came in and opened up my browser first thing, instead of my mail inbox, and missed the first 5 minutes of a meeting! I think I have two things I need to finish today; or, at least hand off to somebody else.

* Roth 401(k) info.

* Chicken tacos for lunch. No options for veggie choices. Other than a shell with lettuce and salsa in it. Uh, no.

* Fantasy football draft tonight, and I haven't even looked at players.

* More on the outlook for energy this winter.

* Top performing market timers bullish.

* I'd think energy prices would affect gambling stocks, in addition to retail and restaurants. I keep hearing interviews with folks saying that it's not possible for them to use less gasoline, because they have to get from point A to point B for work or whatever. That money has to be pulled from some other area.

* The demise of the video store has been overplayed. I haven't set foot in one for years. They seem to be hanging on despite Netflix and VOD.

* Everytime I call my cable company for something, they try to sell me additional services. I DIDN'T PRESS THAT BUTTON, okay? Just answer my question.

* Did you read about the hundreds killed in Iraq during a stampede?

* Reading on some Democrat blogs basically blaming Bush for the disaster in New Orleans, and the subsequent Federal Government response. I'm not registered to any political party, but that kind of talk makes me want to vote straight Republican in 2006. I just hate to think that there are folks spewing political rhetoric, and trying to "take advantage" of this horror. Good grief.

* Time to walk off the Tacos...

blog comments powered by Disqus