Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thursday Selling Off Again

  • Another big move down today in the market. Volatility has returned?
  • $AAPL soon to be a mobile gaming forceWatch out, Sony and Nintendo; overnight, the maker of the iPhone is making a mark on the handheld gaming industry.  Price.  Ease of download.  Volume of iPhones on the market.  Makes sense to me.
  • Worker productivity slowed in 3rd quarter.  Sorry, that was me.  I've been a bit distracted lately.  The Labor Department reported Thursday that productivity the amount an employee produces for every hour on the job grew at an annual pace of 1.1 percent in the third quarter, down from a 3.6 percent growth rate in the second quarter.
  • DirecTV subscriber growth slows.  $DTV missed their earnings, but it's not my fault. I've got that NFL package plus I paid extra to get the HD and Red Zone package, which was pretty lame marketing $DTV.  I know folks who went to $DTV this Fall to get the NFL and were ticked that they had to pay the extra $100 to get HD and the Red Zone channel.  LAME.
  • As usual, Barry Ritholtz is suspect of the unemployment numbers.  Not just that we're not calculating unemployment correctly, but that we're undercounting under-employment. 
  • I dunno, BR... Lets watch those numbers as the layoffs hit over the next year.  I think they'll go up.  I need to find a link from the other day that actually showed some impressive wage gains from 2004 to 2008.  Especially large was the growth of folks going from 5-digit incomes to 6-digit incomes.  Can't find it yet.  Shoulda bookmarked it.