Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Veterans Day Shout-out - Thanks, Dad


A special thank you to the veterans and their families today. It is because of you that we have the opportunities here at home.

Thank you.

My dad served in the Marines. He came from a low-income background and once graduating from high school, had limited income and options for his future. He served a few years and matured during hs time in the Marines. He found purpose and direction. Many of his best friends came from his time in the service. He also met my mom on a night out. And we know how THAT turned out, Dad.

Dad never shared too many military stories with me. He had a scrapbook full of pictures and he'd talk about the people he served with. He taught me how to defend myself and see an opponents weakness. He said when you see the weakness, act immediately. Do not hesitate. But frankly, he was very laid back and preferred settling arguments with an agreement and laughter rather than broken bones.

I know many of you that come here have served in the military yourselves, or have friends and family who have. Please feel free to share a story in the comments, or if you're blogging about it today, put a link in the comments. I would love to read the stories.