Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wednesday Thoughts (and UCLA Cheerleader!)

  • Financials lead as I type. Look at $ETFC go.  Up 25%-ish.  Maybe the financial stocks will drag the market up this time, rather than lead us down.
  • Everyone has been quick to dismiss the rally as just another bear market rally.  We've had quite a few head turners during the bear market.  One of these days, it will be something more than that.  Is this it?  The rally that nobody believes in?  Or is the easy money on a retest of the previous lows before we move higher (or lower...)?
  • Barney Frank and Co. yappin' up something.  The very folks who have been behind the mess act like they're the redeemers.  I'm skeptical whether the "centralized planning" of this all benefits anyone.  Let the good companies thrive, let the bad companies dive.  Dog eat dog.  Evolution.
  • Have your NCAA March Madness brackets ready?  I was reading something somewhere about how folks waste too much time picking upsets.  Not just in their brackets, but when at the sports book betting on games.  That was me last year, and I think the favorites went 21-11 against the spread (ATS) in the first round.  Or thereabouts.  Watching those favorites with the tight spreads. 
  • Did you see the Will Ferrell movie, Semi-Pro?  YIKES.  Not good.  Yes, I did laugh here and there.  I didn't expect much going in, and didn't get much.  Thank goodness I didn't go to the theater for that one.  Yay, $NFLX!