Friday, May 05, 2006

TGIF

  • Was down in SoCal yesterday for Dad's burial ceremony. I'd never been to a military service before, but it was quite moving.  Very dignified and respectful.  I broke down while kissing the casket and setting a rose on top. 
  • The market?  What more can I say?  It's on fire.  I'm in low-beta stuff here with a little cash on the sidelines,  and am not planning on getting aggressive at 6-year highs.  The time to get agressive is on pullbacks, IMHO.  I'm still thinking that we have seasonality and election year cycle stuff staring us down.  If' I'm wrong, I continue to ride up this market in low-beta stuff.  If I'm right and we get a 5-10% correction in the SP500, I'll rotate into higher beta later.  No worries.  I think the danger here would be trying to guess the top and short.  That's why I like to just rotate into high-beta on weakness, and rotate into low-beta on strength.  My goal is to do whatever the market is doing, but make more on the upswings and lose less on the downswings.  The Nasdaq isn't that far away from where I sold on April 6th.  Meanwhile, the low-beta stuff has done pretty well since then.  I suppose I could've went into the Nasdaq when it dipped under support at 2300 this week, especially considering monthly strength.  But that latter thing is over today...
  • I missed who was eliminated on American Idol.  I'll find out next tuesday night I 'spose.
  • I did record Lost, and that was a dandy.  Sad to see Michelle Rodriguez (Anna Lucia) booted off the cast, though.  And poor Hurley.  I kind of wanted to see more background on Libby, but I guess that ain't gonna happen now.
  • Had to reboot my router when I got home. I have no idea what happened.  The internet was off and on, and acting funky.  I usually just reboot the modem and that didn't help.  So tried the router, and that seems to have fixed the issue.  Who knows.
  • The new Casio Exilim 8mp camera takes pretty good pictures.  I snapped a bunch at the burial ceremony yesterday, and also tried the movie mode. I'm quite impressed by it.  Of course, to my eyes I can't really tell any difference between this camera and my buddy's 5mp Nikkon.  I can tell a big difference between this 8mp Casio and my old boat anchor 2mp Kodak, though.  The only thing is that because the Casio is such a small camera, it's easy to move the camera while pressing the shutter button.  Not hard to compensate.  But have to take a few pictures of every scene to make sure I get a good one.  I also bought a 4gig SD card, so I can take about 40 minutes worth of film or 1100 pictures.  And since I did both, somewhere in the middle.  The film quality wasn't the best, though.  That's a common complaint with this camera, but if folks want a movie camera, buy a movie camera.  This works good enough for me.
  • Netflix flicks...  I've had a few sitting on my counter the past few weeks, but I'm going to sit through King Kong and Lord of War this weekend.

blog comments powered by Disqus