Friday, May 19, 2006

That 1994 Feeling

  • Heard this morning that the Nasdaq slide is the longest consecutive duration since 1994. I was trying to think about 1994, and what was going on...  It was also a mid-term election year.  Clinton had put some tax hikes through in 1993 that were slowing the economy (and probably cost the Democrats the Congress in the 1994 elections).  Greenspan had been raising interest rates, which was slowing the economy and hitting the housing markets.  As were Clinton's military base closures (which actually happened in 1995 I believe).
  • Of course, Greenspan was successful at engineering a "soft landing" in 1994, and the panic lows that year turned out to be a great entry point for the zoom of the late 1990's tech bubble in the stock market.
  • Forrest Gump came out in 1994.
  • Danielle wins America's Next Top Model!  You know, I was thinking Joanie would win, but was happy either way.  As long as it wasn't Jade!  I think all three took great pictures.  Joanie was probably my favorite, but maybe that's because of the whole stripper thing.

  • Another big movie in 1994, Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla.  OK, you might've missed that one.  I know I did.  But I was alway a big monster movie fan as a kid.  Even though Godzilla died in the original Godzilla movie.  I think he also died in the King Kong vs. Godzilla movie.  Although, monsters never die and are always easily resucitated due to the folly of mankind.  (Nuclear weapons tests and such).  Maybe I'll have to Netflix this one and see how it turns out.  My guess would be that Godzilla ends up the hero against a sinister Space Godzilla.  Just a guess.
  • Well, the Senate has decided to make English the official language of the US.  It passed in a 63-34 vote.  English was easily the top choice, but rumor has it that Tagalog was a close #2 and might've won had there been a filibuster on English.  I think the Senate should've added a twist to it.  Such as, "English will be the official language, but everyone has to speak it in an Australian accent."  Then, closed out the session with Men at Work singing the national anthem.  (Just a thought, mate!)
  • The market was down when I started this, suddenly it's up.  I think when the market's been trending for a week, fridays tend to see profit taking.   This time the bears are ringing the cash register.   And probably flying in those Ukranian hookers for the weekend...

  • OJ fled from police in his white Bronco in 1994.  Kurt Cobain went suicide.  Weezer released their debut album.  Cowboys beat the Bills in the Super Bowl.  Arkansas beat Duke in NCAA hoops.  Miguel Indurain won the Tour de France.  Major League baseball went on strike in 1994.  Nancy Kerrigan gets whacked on the leg by Tonya Harding's ex-husband. 
  • More from 1994?  Read Wiki!
  • My oil trade isn't working out and getting close to my mental stops.  Even though I think oil is heading higher, I won't let a trade turn into an investment.  No holding and hoping here!  Still have it as I type, though.

blog comments powered by Disqus