Friday, September 02, 2005

What a Week

* The shoot to kill order has been given by the Louisiana Governor in response to the anarchy in New Orleans.

* I'm the king at misplacing things. I've adapted by being pretty strict on my placements of things. When I get home, I always put my keys, shoes, sunglasses and whatever in the same place. When I need to find it again, there it is. That's the plan, however... (keep reading)....

* Unemployment rate down to 4.9%, and the US added 169K jobs in August. Pre-Katrina, of course. In addtion, the job growth numbers for June and July were revised upwards. So, as you can see, the economic growth in this country has been pretty steady. Hurricane Katrina will affect it, but after the disaster, a ton of money will be spent. (That's what we've seen from previous disasters). It generally creates a boom in the area affected. But, that's a bit off as the area is still a mess.

* The market? You know, the SP500 is up over 1% this week. Pretty routine for month-end strength and pre-Labor Day? Probably. More curious will be post-Labor Day. I've been looking around, and the mood is mostly bullish. But the bears haven't been able to bring the market down. I'm still in the total market, and will get more aggressive if we correct in the weeks ahead. (I think we will). But, I'm still long.

* I couldn't find my sunglasses this week. Nowhere. Not at work. Not at home where I normally put them. Not in my car. Nowhere. Oh, they were somewhere. I was out messin' with my sprinklers and was getting wet, so I took them off and set them on the fence. Where they remained until I found them last night. Fortunately, they were not covered by spider webs.

* I think it's sad that Democrats are politicizing the New Orleans tragedy, but we'll just file it in the "shooting themselves in the foot" category. And then they wonder why they can't win elections... Duh. Americans don't like it when the country and the President is being bad-mouthed. Especially when we're all trying to pull together and help those in this time of need.

* DVD format war. I think I'll let the dust settle before I pick one. Maybe see what Netflix is going to do, and go with that technology.

* Looks like the security gurus at the Fun Factory have discovered podcasts, and have quickly added them to the list of blocked web sites. Along with pretty much everything else useful about the web. I can still access the cafeteria menu on the intranet, though. File that under "good use of technology" I suppose.

* (I've been composing my blogs on my PC, and transfering the text to my Treo for uploading.)

* Fun Factory missed a site that has sports odds. I bet next time I try to get there, it'll be blocked. Hah. Treo to the rescue then. Other coworkers are doing the same. It'll be funny if somebody asks "What are folks doing there with those cell phone things?" Placin' bets, sir.

* One time in my early 20's, I came home from work, grabbed a soda from the refridgerator and was playing guitar prior to heading off to guitar lessons. When it was time to go, I couldn't find my keys. They weren't where I normally place them. I searched my apartment at the time, and nothing. I called to cancel my class, and then decided to have something to eat. Heck, I'd find them later. I opened the refridgerator .... YUP! I had put them in there when I grabbed the soda.

blog comments powered by Disqus