Saturday, March 13, 2010

Saturday Randomosity

  • image Climategate Was an Academic Disaster Waiting to HappenLast fall, emails revealed that scientists at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in England and colleagues in the U.S. and around the globe deliberately distorted data to support dire global warming scenarios and sought to block scholars with a different view from getting published. What does this scandal say generally about the intellectual habits and norms at our universities?.  Nice opinion piece from the WSJ.
  • President Obama to revamp No Child Left Behind“…the Obama approach would set firmer standards for success while lifting nearly all the measures that the Bush law uses to try to prod change at failing schools. Obama aides describe the plan as "tight on goals, loose on means."  Good luck.
  • If your iPad battery fails, Apple will sell you a new one for $99.  Plus shipping.  Ouch.  I can live without an iPad 1.0, but I know folks will be lining up for one in April. On-line pre-orders have been brisk.
  • I’m really waiting the next generation of the iPhone.  My cargo shorts pockets aren’t big enough for an iPad.
  • I like Pandora Radio.  I have the iPhone app, and also added the channel on my Roku box.  Sweet.  I even added a Taylor Swift channel!
  • March Madness ready to happen.  I’ve loosely been paying attention to conference tournaments, but I don’t really start paying close attention until Thursday. Everything else is pre-season.
  • Promised myself I’d get outside today and exercise.  Winter is almost over!  Time to dust off the cobwebs.

blog comments powered by Disqus