Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Revenge of the Black Box

  • Looks like I picked the wrong time to ignore a sell signal from the Black Box, eh? Shame on me.  Right on cue, the market obeyed the historical trend to be positive before and after Labor Day weekend, and now... YONK!  Of course, everyone on the planet is aware of what the market historically does during Sept-Oct, so will it be a self-fulfilling prophecy?  I continue to be long with beta and taking it on the chin today.  One thing comes to mind, is that during a trend, the market grinds in one direction relentlessly but then has sharp and severe counter moves that fizzle out before the trend resumes.
  • Sony delays European launch of Playstation 3.  Something sounds fishy about the launch of the PS3.  I wonder how that's going?  Will they be selling any of them anywhere prior to Christmas 2006?  How will the supply levels be?  The PS3 is highly anticipated, but it sure seems like waiting for Godot.  They lost out to Microsoft's XBOX 360 on being first to hit store shelves, now Nintendo may get out there ahead of them.
  • I didn't watch Katie Couric do the news last night.  Did you?  Did you set aside some time or Tivo the headline-making event?  Not me.  I went on a bike ride as usual.  While I do watch local news here and there, I can't remember the last time I watched the network news.
  • NYC children struggle with hunger, obesity"They don't have very much money available to pay for their groceries and so they must buy the cheapest food available in order to keep their children fed," Aine Duggan, the group's vice president of government relations, told Reuters.  "Unfortunately what that means is they're buying the food that's highest in fat content and calorie content because the cheapest food available tends to be fatty food."  I disagree, of course.  I think it's an educational and self-control issue, because the majority of middle-class and rich folks are obese as well.  It's about poor food choices, no matter what your income level.  Rice, beans and veggies aren't that expensive.  Step away from the fruit roll-ups and sodas! 

blog comments powered by Disqus