Thursday, March 09, 2006

Origami

Microsoft unveils 'Origami', a paperback-book sized portable computer, which is a hybrid between a laptop PC and a host of mobile devices that the world's biggest software maker hopes will create an entirely new market.

  • The article lists the price as between $500-99, with a battery life of 3 hours.  I'm all for the convergence of mobility and technology, and I think this is a great first step.  Or whatever step we're on at this point.  I'm not sure I'm interested in one of those over a smartphone like the Treo.  The 3 hour battery life bothers me, although they hope to increase the length to an "all day battery."  Maybe this is more attractive to business users, but I'm not sure the public will rush to it. 

  • My buy on semiconductors yesterday morning looked great until about mid-morning today.  Seems like the bears are in control.  The early bounce was faded pretty quickly and there is red red everywhere red.   There are a lot of bears though.  I'm still in pre-options week mode and thinking this weakness will produce a rally.  We shall see.
  • On Cramerica (the radio version) yesterday, Jim Cramer was saying how horrible this market is and how bad things have been.  Isn't the SP500 just a couple percent from the highs?  Pullbacks are normal.  Things just don't go up in a straight line.  Of course, maybe some of the go-go stocks (like oil) have been dismal lately.  So for folks with undiversified portfolios concentrated in sectors that are tanking, I suppose things are quite bad.
  • So, nicknames for the guys on American Idol?  Some came from the show but others are obvious.... The Hobbit, Eddie Money, Peter Brady, Chicken Little, Vin Diesel, Ace (who needs a nickname when your name is Ace?)...  I don't know about Bucky or the first guy who sang last night (and I missed).  I think Chicken Little and Peter Brady need to be voted off the island.

blog comments powered by Disqus