Friday, October 22, 2004

300 Electoral Votes?

* Bush is up around 3-4% on average now in the polls. I think it's probably a little tighter than that, but that could produce a big win on election tuesday. Bush seems to have all the momentum now, and there can't be enough undecideds at this point to matter.

* Stocks? I like the rallying in technology stocks despite the warnings and such. True, today there is a little pullback. Watch the SP500 and Nasdaq, and not so much the DOW. The DOW is only 30 companies, and technology seems to be leading.

* Whoever ends up winning the election, I hope it's decisive enough that we don't have to have a repeat of the 2000 recount fiasco.

* Oil! Black gold! Texas Tea! You'd think folks would be more concerned about high fuel prices, but I think we're married to our SUVs and our driving patterns are not part of our discretionary income. We're more likely to cut back on the supersized meals or grande lattes than reduce driving. I believe most of us believe our commutes are non-negotiable. We'll see how it goes when the home heating bills hit!

* Kerry windsurfs. He rides bike. And now, he's a big game hunter. We have over a week to go, so I wonder which niche group he'll try to appeal to next? Maybe he could put on a Bengals cap and tote around a wireless PDA? If anyone can't see through this, it's because they've got their eyes shut! I think most can; again, Bush up 3-4% in the polls.

* I wonder if another thing affecting our ignoring fuel prices, is that most baby boomers are in their peak earnings period? Home ownership is higher than ever, and many have been taking equity out of their homes. Many have cash to burn, in John Kerry's "worst economy since Hoover."

* No dreams of Ted Nugent and Hollywood Squares last night. No fair. I won in my dream the previous night, shouldn't I be invited back the next night? Isn't that how it works?

* Red Sox or Cardinals?

* If Kerry does end up winning, how likely is it that a GOP Congress would sign legislation raising taxes or creating government health care? Exactly. We'd have gridlock. That's what we had from 1994-2000, and it worked quite well.

* Lunch time! I have no lunch bunch here yet. I usually just eat and go for a long walk.

blog comments powered by Disqus