Friday, August 04, 2006

My My My Aye Aye Woo!

  • The Knack ("My Sharona") lead singer Doug Fieger underwent successful brain surgery Thursday. This YouTube is for you, Doug.  Get well soon.
  • If you're in England, a charity wants you to come to a masterbate-a-thon.    Participants, who have to be over 18, can bring any aids they need and can take part in four different rooms -- a comfort area, a mixed area, along with men and women only areas.  What aids would you bring?  And what's a "comfort area?"  Now that would be an interesting crowd.
  • Barry says folks are standing in unemployment lines.  Hmm.  With unemployment under 5%, I think the labor market is pretty tight.  I've had 3 job offers for higher wages the past few weeks.  I haven't had folks chase me like this since The Bubble.  Lots of talk by those unhappy with the economy and the President about underemployment or labor participation.  I think that's a lot of noise.

  • Check out this Yahoo Market Update:  Friday was a wild day on Wall Street with early gains fueled by an encouraging July jobs report being wiped away as the return of concern tied to an economic slowdown outweighed the potential of a pause in tightening at Tuesday's Fed meeting.  That's a mouthfull!  And Barry (link up above) was blogging about the anticipation of future rate cuts already.  So did the market gap and crap on Fed hikes, Fed pauses or anticipated Fed cuts?  All of the above?  None of the above?  Or... As Adam noted, I can't believe Bubblevision failed to notice today's selloff oddly corresponded to word that Penelope Cruz has actually seen Suri Cruise.   AHA!  Knew there had to be a believable catalyst!
  • Lots of bearishness.  The wall of worry is pretty high out there.  Everyone is talking about a recession these days.
  • From following the media, you'd think Hezbollah was winning the war against Israel.  Maybe Hezbollah is winning the public relations war. 
  • Ah, Socially Responsible Investing.  I think those funds have underperformed the index over the past few years. 
  • OK, load up the bus... Start the weekend!


Oh, sorry if you've got that song running through your head now. I know I do... Woo!

blog comments powered by Disqus