Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Quick Hits (Stocks, Super Bowl, TV)

  • Stocks? Yeah, here we are in February and the market is swooning. Have you seen the selling in Google? Oh my goodness! So, I've been watching the Black Box and don't have buy signals yet, although I did get one on Citigroup. The last time I had a buy signal on C was back in September. I generally track ETFs and then a few major stocks to get a feel for where we're headed. I don't think it'd take much for the market to rally. Everyone seems to be rather pessimistic.

  • If you're reading the Health news out, more good news for those of you who eat a high-fiber diet.

  • I think the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers, but the Steelers outscored 'em. Of course, the refs help out Pittsburgh quite a bit with some bizarre calls. From what I'm reading around the web, folks seem pretty upset with the officiating. But the Steelers made the big plays and won. That's the bottom line. You have to rise above the officiating and take the game. Seattle didn't do that.

  • The folks who sang the national anthem and the halftime show with the Rolling Stones? HORRRRRIBLE! Note to self: Next time, order the Lingerie Bowl for halftime! Or even Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl II (with the kitty halftime show) might've been better...

  • Commercials were pretty lousy, too. Go Daddy was a disappointment, despite my previous blog entry about it. I haven't checked out all their ads that were rejected yet.

  • One other thing about the market, is that next week is options expiration. I've noticed that sometimes if we'd had a round of selling before options week, then options week can provide quite a bounce. Just thinking out loud.

  • Former "Xena: Warrior Princess" star Lucy Lawless has signed on for a 10-episode story arc on Sci Fi Channel's red-hot "Battlestar Galactica."

  • Speaking of Sci Fi, I made it through the first disc of Sci Fi's cancelled show Firefly over the weekend. A little slow to start out with, and nowhere near as good as Battlestar Galactica. But somewhat entertaining. I'll Netflix the rest of the season 1 discs over the next month and follow up with the movie Serenity. Why not?

  • "24" last night? It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for smart people to hack through computer security systems. Some guy at a remote site with a PC, clicking his way easily through the most sophisticated security system on the planet. Uh huh. It always seems to take them about 2-3 minutes, too. But, I watch anyways and ignore these kinds of things.

  • I'm in a burrito kind of lunchtime mood...

  • "Battlestar Galactica" begins production in April in Vancouver (for season #4).

blog comments powered by Disqus