Friday, February 03, 2006

TGIF! Markets and Football Stuff


 
  • Today was one of those days in the markets where I feel compelled to buy something aggressive.  As I've noted the past few days, I've been a little worried about the bullishness (ie, Mad Money touts) heading into February which has been historically a weak month for the markets.  We had the jobs numbers today come out strong, but not as strong as expected.  We got a little over 190K, when folks were expecting 250K.  That last number was crazy because of the GDP slowdown in the last quarter.  IMHO, anyways.  But the big scare today was the increase in the wage numbers combined with the drop in the unemployment rate down to 4.7%.  I think this is another talking point in the argument of the economy being at full employment.  In addition, yesterday the productivity numbers fell.  So all of this is making folks wonder if the Fed is indeed done raising rates, or will they continue to hike away willy-nilly?

  • Just to clarify yesterday's comments about me not liking cooked raisins.  I don't like warm, hot, steaming raisins.  But cooled off in an oatmeal cookie is another way God intended raisins to be eaten.  That, and straight out of the box they come in! 

  • Batter up!  I picked up Empire of Debt last night during Dancing with the Stars.  Read through a few chapters.  Hoo, now there's a pessimistic view of where we (America) are.  It goes along the lines of how nations become empires and the sociological changes in the mindset of the population.  (Booyah!)

  • Stacy Keibler?  Any relations to those elves who bake cookies in a tree?  She's doing really well in this dance competition.  For some strange reason I can't explain, blondes don't do much for me.  Regarding the competition, I think the next folks to be voted off the dance floor should be George Hamilton and Tia Carrere.  Although, I'd miss Tia.

  • I think raisins are kind of weird in salads, too.  "Crunch.  Crunch.  Crunch.  Squish."  You know?

  • Superbowl pick?  I put some down on the Seattle Seahawks in September to win it all.  It pays 20-1.  You know who I'm pulling for.  It won't be easy.  I think the Pittsburgh Steelers are a better defensive team, and that's who usually comes out ahead in these things.  It seems as if the crowd is piling on the Steelers.  So, I'd lean the other way if I were making any new bets.  But, I think the Steelers will win, too.  So I may be caught up in the emotional thing, too.  Whatever.   Go Seahawks!

blog comments powered by Disqus