Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Weird Wacky Wednesday

  • Yesterday, I blogged about Weird Wacky Wednesday, where we tend to get some sort of move beginning later in the week preceding options week expiration. Some may call this the "wed-wed" rally. It seems to happen whenever we've had a bout of pessimism in the days/weeks prior to options expiration. We get a big rally. Was today the start of that, or just a one hit wonder?

  • "Oooh, doing that thing you do." - The Wonders.

  • Last night on American Idol, that dude that "sounded like Cher" really creeped me out. What was that? And then he wanted to sing some Judy Garland? C'mon. I'm surprised they let him prattle on for so long before booting him off.

  • Oh, speaking of today's rally... Did you see some of the buying in the big caps? Folks have been predicting a comeback by big cap for a long time. Eventually, they'll be right. Maybe now? QQQQ looked nice today. And despite the February selling, semiconductors have held up well.

  • Have you checked out the ETF offerings by Powershares? A few have my attention for some sort of portfolio rebalancing down the road. I'd like to see the daily volume pick up on some of those. As you know, I like to adjust my beta during times of strength and weakness. But I value "value" in some of my core holdings. I like stocks (and ETFs) that pay dividends for long-term. I like value investing for long-term positions more than growth. But I do use growth when I crank up the beta from time to time.

  • There are now more ETFs than you can shake a stick at!

  • Tonight... Wednesday... New episode of LOST! (I'm lost without Lost.) Also, American Idol and Veronica Mars are on. So have your DVR at the ready!

  • I don't know about this friday night, but next friday night the Battlestar Galactica will have to decide what to do with Boomer's half-cylon baby. According to TV Guide. Not that you care, but that's a pretty good Sci Fi drama.

  • The market has cycles. So does my weight. Football season is bad. 7 pounds bad this year. But it is fun hanging out with your buddies on the weekends watching football, drinking beer, and eating chips. With 72-degree weather hitting the Sacramento valley and the weekends freed up, now comes the bicycling season for me. Note to self: Get rid of those chips! Yeesh.

  • Fun Factory? Presentations most of the day. I only had a few questions asked, so I don't think folks were even paying attention. Remember the tip to get over nerves is to imagine folks sitting around in their underwear? (Is that from the Brady Bunch?) Anyways, I just imagine that folks are sitting there ignoring me, staring at their watches, and daydreaming about being out in the 72-degree weather. I think that's about right anyways. "Nobody's listening to you anyways. Onward, Muck."

  • I haven't followed politics. My reaction to Bush's State of the Union was "Pffft. Yeah, right." And then there's the Iran mess, which I think will continue on for a long while. I don't know much about the spying or the other political crop circles out there. I just don't find following it to enhance my day to day life experience.

  • Al Michaels is leaving ABC for possibly NBC, as John Madden did. Maybe those two will pair up for Sunday Night Football. The NFL is getting crazy with the scheduling for next year. Stay tuned.

  • Yes, Seattle got jobbed in the Super Bowl. But Pittsburgh did make the big plays that Seattle didn't. I like the joke going around that the Steelers had a victory parade. In the first car was Coach Cowher. In the second car was Jerome Bettis. And in the third car, were the NFL referees...

blog comments powered by Disqus