Saturday, December 24, 2005

Saturday's Views on the News

DOW's Gain Down to the Wire.  In the final week of 2005, the U.S. stock market will be banking on last-minute investments in retirement accounts and other equity funds, with traders hoping the infusion will help the Dow end the year in positive territory.

  • Just using our thinking caps here, we'll have a lighter-than-normal volume week next week, 401(k) contributions will hit late in the week, and then there are the unofficial month-end/quarter-end/year-end shennanigans by the Big Investors to jack up their performance numbers.  I know most folks are expecting 2006 to be the Return of the Bear Market, but maybe we'll see a nice bump this coming week.

Man Rescues Dog Frozen to Railroad Tracks.  He's missing a lot of hair, but a Siberian husky has a new name and a new life, thanks to a construction worker and police officer who rescued him from a railroad track minutes before a train arrived.
  • I saw this story on CNN, and I have to wonder how would a dog get frozen to railroad tracks?  I think the rescue story is great, but I'm wondering if the dog did it on a dare from some other dogs.  Kind of like kids urging one another to stick their tongue on a lamp post.  The dog was taken to the Chippewa County Humane Association, where workers named him "Ice Train."

Economy Stays in the Game.  Think of a boxer who takes wallop after wallop but won't stay down. That's the resilient U.S. economy. As we begin the 50th month of economic growth this new year, not too much has changed. You can expect 3% growth in 2006 to follow the 3.6% of 2005.
  • So, more of the same.  This is the kind of growth that really will frustrate the bears.  They'll get enough news and fear to suspect a bear market is around the corner, but the slow moderate growth will be good for the stock market.  It looks to be another not too hot and not too cold economy.

I only  fancy my girlfriend after a few drinksAfter several years, I recently noted that I only really fancy my girlfriend after I’ve had a few drinks. Is this relationship worth pursuing?
  • You know, I only fancy other people's girlfriends after a few drinks, too.  The Economist answers This Christmas, thousands of couples like you and your girlfriend will rediscover each other with the help of the Yuletide brandy.  HO HO HO!

blog comments powered by Disqus